Available for the academic year to social science and history doctoral students at the write-up stage of their dissertation, whose research is focused on East Asia. Provides matriculation and fees plus a stipend. Preference is given to students focusing on modern Chinese history or political science.
- Academic year support for tuition, matriculation and fees, health insurance, and/or stipend
- Award amounts will be based on need and available funds
- Ph.D. students doing dissertation write-up
- Research focus on modern Chinese history or political science
- Any social science discipline, including history
- Preference will be given to students in the fifth year and beyond
- One award per academic year
- Recipients of the award must report to the Weatherhead East Asian Institute any additional funds, such as another grant, that they receive in support of the same activities. The total amount of funding received for the project must not exceed the limits dictated by the student’s school. Should a student receive multiple sources of funding for the same project, the WEAI will adjust or withdraw the amount granted to the student so as to remain below the cap dictated by the student’s school.
Students may submit an online fellowship application at http://weai.smapply.io. This fellowship requires the following:
– Application Form
– Project Proposal
– All official academic transcripts, including those from Columbia
– Two Letters of Recommendation
– Statement of Progress of approximately four pages describing your dissertation progress